When And Why To See A Doctor
- White discharge is a common complaint of women seeking consultation from a Gynaecologist
- Every menstruating woman will experience increase in white discharge in the middle of the cycle for a couple of days which is a normal phenomenon.
- It does not require specific treatment and settles on its own
So,when should a doctor be consulted.
- When white discharge has lasted for many days.
- When it has foul odour and stains underclothes
- When it is associated with pain in lower abdomen.
- When it is associated with frequency of urination and itching of private parts
What causes this white discharge
- Most of the times it is caused by fungal or bacterial infection.
What kind of treatment is given for it.
- Oral treatment consists of taking antifungal and antibiotics tablets
- Local treatment consists of creams to be applied to private parts
- Some medicated capsules /tablets called pessaries are meant to be inserted in the vagina and left there to take effect overnight
- Vaginal washes also help
What if the complain comes back again and again
- This happens when the general health of the woman is not good.
- In this case certain blood tests and a specialized screening test for cancer of mouth of uterus (cervix) is carried out which is popularly known as Pap’s smear